Konavle as a region located at the end of the southern part of the Dubrovnik Republic is one of the most picturesque parts of the wider surroundings of Dubrovnik. The origin of its name has been variously interpreted. It probably derives from the Latin word canalis which means water channel, partly preserved from the Roman times till today. It stretched from Vodovađa at the very east part of Konavle to Cavtat (Kovačić, 331-341). Traces of life in this region can be followed from the prehistoric times. In the Bronze age there were Pre-Illyrians, in the Iron age, about 1000 B.C. Illyrians inhabited the area. Their traces have been preserved to the present times in the form of stone mounds called tumulus, or stone piles called locally. There are numerous stone piles in the area of Donja Banda particularly noticeable along the age of the Dubrovnik Airport runway that ascends above the field of Konavle. In the origin of the word Epidaurum (todays Cavtat) we can also recognize the Old Illyrian word deuro = forest and epi = behind which can be translated behind the forest (Lučić, 288).
In 167 B.C. Konavle came under the Roman Empire and in the 1st century Epidaur developed into a strong port becoming the town-colony. The antique culture brought also the culture of leisure to the area as numerous archaeological artefacts of Roman villas rustica found here witness the fact. The villas served as centres of farm estates. The environment also preserves the traces of Roman centuriation, i.e. division of land constructed in dry stone walls like between the villages Močići-Čilipi and Popovići (Zaninović, 89-100).
In the 7th century barbaric Slavic tribes broke in this region and brought new religious influences of polytheism visible in the great number of tombstones called around the area called stećci.
Konavle became a part of the Dubrovnik Republic relatively late. The Republic bought a part in 1419 and the whole region of Konavle in 1426 which finally defined the territory of the Republic. Apart from the developed livestock breeding in all parts of Konavle, its fertile field became the main granary of the Republic and the cultivation of other grains was severely limited by the Statute. The government banned the planting of new vineyards in order not to compete in their production with the other parts of the Republic. Grains were sown like wheat, rye, barley, millet and sorghum. Forests were cleared to get new cultivable land. Three-field system of tillage was applied; winter and spring wheat were sown and the fourth part was left for fallow land. Besides grains different vegetables were grown: garlic and onions, broad beans, lentils, pumpkins, cabbage, later on potatoes, maize and beans. At the time of the Republic farmers were cultivating fruits like figs, walnuts, mulberry, plums, pears, apples, sorbs, almonds, lemons, oranges, pomegranates, apricots...(Lučić, 297).
Above cultures are grown also nowadays and the architectural pastoral complexes from the times of the Dubrovnik Republic have been preserved, too.